Translate

Wednesday, September 17, 2014

Iron Jaw

      © Debdatta 'Riju' Mukherjee


he wants to spit the gum out
but I won’t let him
he’s been chewing the same piece 
for forty five minutes
but I don’t care

when he can chew it two hours
consistently I’ll let him
spit it out and put
the masticated wad
back in the freezer
until tomorrow
then he will chew on it
another two hours

there will come a time
my son will have
a jaw of iron
no punch will dissuade him
no blow render him
unconscious

he will be tough
the way I became tough
and he will thank me
eventually

-by Karl Koweski


Karl Koweski remains an enemy of the Amish, having launched peanut brittle boycotts in 12 Mennonite communties.  His poems and stories can be found here and there.  His collection of short stories Blood and Greasepaint remains available and his latest Kockblockers will be out in November.


Photo Courtesy: Debdatta 'Riju' Mukherjee

Debdatta 'Riju' Mukherjee lives in Kolkata and barely survives his insufferable job as an IT professional through poetry, photography and whiskey.





No comments:

Post a Comment