Translate

Thursday, November 27, 2014

Leldon Grace fetches a frisbee

      © Simón Vázquez
I hated him
I hated his dull brown hair
parted to the left side
I hated his dirty ears
his crooked glasses
I hated his Vietnam Vet father
stocking booze at
the local liquor store
I hated his skeletal mother
walking the neighborhood
since she never learned to drive
I hated his red cabbage stink
I hated his one pair of jeans
his two stained shirts
I hated that of every boy
in the fourth grade
I was always the one
to be paired with
Leldon Grace for recess

so I threw the frisbee
as high as I could
as hard as I could
and watched Leldon Grace
charge after the blue disc
I watched him sprint five steps
into the street and get
clipped by a sleet gray Buick

I joined the other children
gathered on the sidewalk
as the teachers screamed
for someone to call 911
we listened to the apologies
from the Buick’s elderly driver

I couldn’t take my eyes
away from Leldon Grace
his left leg broken, forehead
gashed to the bone
those cheap glasses, setting
lopsided on the car’s hood
the blood collected curbside
and Leldon Grace still tried
to claw his way out
of the street but only
succeeded in finger painting
crimson on asphalt

seeing him writhing
I felt nothing
and I realized
I could do this again
to anyone

-by Karl Koweski


Karl Koweski remains an enemy of the Amish, having launched peanut brittle boycotts in 12 Mennonite communties.  His poems and stories can be found here and there.  His collection of short stories Blood and Greasepaint remains available and his latest Kockblockers will be out in November.

Painting Courtesy: Simón Vázquez 

Simón Vázquez (Barcelona, 1979) started in the field of animation and studied at the School 9zero. But soon he turned to Arts, and  studied at Barcelona Llotja. After engaging in illustration, he led himself to painting and sculpture, and  he has been doing  exhibitions  for years  at the galleries of Spain and abroad.




No comments:

Post a Comment